Are you interested in environmental, climate and wildlife justice?
Deadline : 10 June 2020 | Possible Start date: 1st July 2020 (depends on Covid19 regulations).
Advocates4Earth is a non-profit public interest environmental law, climate and wildlife justice organisation based in Harare, Zimbabwe. The organisation announces its call for three 3-month internship positions.
Current Internship Positions:
While volunteering applications are open throughout the year, this specific call relates to the following internship position :
- Environmental Intern
- Environmental Law Intern
- Press and Digital Campaigns Assistant
The Advocates4Earth Internship Program offers tertiary students and recent graduates’ opportunities to gain experience in environmental, climate and wildlife justice advocacy and research work as well as in public interest environmental law, while supporting the work of Advocates4Earth. Volunteers and interns make an invaluable contribution to our work and increase our capacity to provide legal and policy advice to environmental groups and the community seeking to use the law and progressive analysis to protect the environment.
Interns work at least three days per week. Duties include: (specific additional duties are outlined below):
- undertaking legal, scientific and/or policy research
- assisting with advocacy, campaigns and media work, workshop facilitation and training projects
- carrying out administrative tasks
Who should apply/Required Skills and attributes?
Law, media, conservation and environmental science students with a genuine and demonstrable interest in environmental, climate and wildlife justice issues, social-economic justice issues and environmental law and policy.
- Passionate about Advocates4Earth’s work, mission and vision.
- Completion of environmental law /conservation/environmental science modules is highly desirable.
- Additional study/work experience (paid/unpaid) in a related field such as environmental science and policy, health, civil society, law, science, journalism, conservation or policy research would be well regarded.
- Basic familiarity with the Environmental Management Act, Forest Act, Parks and Wildlife Act and their related statutory instruments and some familiarity with the processes.
- Ability to commit to at least three days per week during the duration of the internship is essential.
- Ability to work independently online with minimal supervision, and to be fast-paced.
- Due to COVID 19 regulations, access to own computer and internet would be a plus, but not compulsory
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written, oral and social media communication skills are necessary with strong attention to detail. A multi-lingual (Ndebele, English, Shona, etc) candidate is preferred but not required.
- Ability and flexibility to work in remote or rural locations and to meet deadlines; a driver’s licence is preferred but not required.
- Comfort in taking initiative, working with a diverse group of people, and searching for new or innovative opportunities to improve programming
- Must have access to their own computer in the interim.
Interns are entitled to a monthly transport and incidentals allowance in addition to applicable allowances while travelling/working.
How to apply
Complete the application form on the following pages, print and scan and email all the required document as a single PDF file to email@example.com citing the relevant internship position on Email Subject Field. Download documents below. Required documents:
- (1) application form: (2) your CV; (3) a cover letter detailing how you meet the required skills and attributes
- (4) a certified copy of your academic transcript or university results so far; (5)Signed Internship Agreement (5) any other relevant document/publication (optional).
- Press and Communications interns must, in addition, submit a 60-90 second video clip showcasing any aspects of the environment and why they want to intern with Advocates4Earth (please use WeTransfer with your name as the file name).
Due to a volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.